SB 1344 Background:
- Design and permitting criteria for non-point stormwater treatment in Florida have not been updated and codified since 2007 despite new criteria that was developed in 2010.
- Current stormwater design and permitting criteria are outdated and allow pollution, especially for nutrients like nitrogen that cause harmful algal blooms, to reach impairment levels statewide.
- The new criteria proposed in SB 1344 would not present a direct cost to the public.
- Proposes the most significant statewide water pollutant reduction of any legislation currently being considered.
SB 1344 requires:
- that new pollutant loadings from stormwater systems are not discharged into impaired water bodies.
- by December 1, 2019 that FDEP and the water management districts revise best management practice design criteria and low impact design best management practices and design criteria that increase the removal of nutrients from stormwater discharge from all new development and redevelopment projects and measures for consistent application of the net improvement performance standard to ensure that new pollutant loadings are not discharged into impaired waters.
Please support the revision language in SB 1344 and ask that additional language be included that applies the new criteria to all relevant waters of the state, not just for impaired waters.
SB 1344 will be reviewed by the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee, Tuesday April 2 at 2:00 PM. Please contact members of the committee and urge them to forward SB 1344 legislation to revise statewide stormwater permitting criteria. Comments have the best chance of being considered if submitted before April 1.
Committee Chair: Senator Bill Montford (D): (850) 487-5003 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Senator Ben Albritton (R): (850) 487-5026 / email@example.com
Senator Lori Berman (D): (850) 487-5031 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Senator Debbie Mayfield (R): (850) 487-5017 / email@example.com
Senator Tom A. Wright (R): (850) 487-5014 / firstname.lastname@example.org”>email@example.com
Email These Senators Now!
Committee member contact information:
Committee Chair: Charles Wesley “Chuck” Clemons, Sr. [R](850) 717-5021 / Chuck.Clemons@myfloridahouse.gov
Holly Raschein [R]: (850) 717-5120 / Holly.Raschein@myfloridahouse.gov
Delores D. “D” Hogan Johnson [D]: (850) 717-5084 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Charles “Chuck” Brannan III [R]: (850) 717-5010 / email@example.com
Elizabeth Anne Fetterhoff [R]: (850) 717-5026 / Elizabeth.Fetterhoff@myfloridahouse.gov
Walter Bryan “Mike” Hill [R]: (850) 717-5001 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristin Diane Jacobs [D]: (850) 717-5096 / Kristin.Jacobs@myfloridahouse.gov
Chris Latvala [R]: (850) 717-5067 / email@example.com
Lawrence McClure [R]: (850) 717-5058 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Anika Tene Omphroy [D]: (850) 717-5095 / Anika.Omphroy@myfloridahouse.gov
Daniel Perez [R]: (850) 717-5116 / Daniel.Perez@myfloridahouse.gov
Sharon Pritchett [D]: (850) 717-5102 / Sharon.Pritchett@myfloridahouse.gov
William Cloud “Will” Robinson, Jr. [R]: (850) 717-5071 / Will.Robinson@myfloridahouse.gov
Tyler I. Sirois [R]: (850) 717-5051 / Tyler.Sirois@myfloridahouse.gov
Clovis Watson, Jr. [D]: (850) 717-5020 / Clovis.Watson@myfloridahouse.gov