Waterkeepers Florida has collaborated with other environmental organizations to publish a progress report on the implementation of recommendations made by Florida’s Blue-Green Algae Task Force.
In short, meaningful progress is difficult to find:
In his first week in office, Governor DeSantis issued Executive Order #19-12, establishing the Blue-Green Algae Task Force.
The Task Force issued a consensus document of recommendations in October 2019, focused on actionable ways to invest our tax dollars strategically to prevent pollution at the source.
Since taking office, there have been three full legislative sessions (and numerous special sessions), yet the Governor and legislative leaders have only enacted a small handful of those vital recommendations.
- NO statewide septic inspection program
- NO water quality standards for toxic algae blooms
- NO mandatory public health notifications for toxic blooms
- NO water quality testing required for enrolled agricultural polluters
- NOT ENOUGH state resources for pollution prevention
View Full Report